Severalls Hospital

BANNER -SMH- New Asylum, Myland
Severalls Hospital LOGO
Severalls Hospital LOGO

Severalls Mental Hospital

Second Essex County Asylum

...past...present...future...

Nurses' Badges & other Hospital Insignia

Severalls Hospital LOGO

image is an adaptation of Nurses' Badge, as used on the Commemorative Booklet produced when the Hospital closed in 1997.

SMH Badge -1920''s-1930''s

Photograph Copyright of SMH website

SEVERALLS MENTAL HOSPITAL -circa 1920's to 1940's

Produced after the Hospital ceased to be called the Second Essex County Asylum / Severalls Lunatic Asylum, probably as the Mental Deficiency Act replaced the Lunacy Act, with the Commissioners in Lunacy replaced by the Board of Control. Issued to Nurses. Stirling silver. Brightly designed with blue enamel outer ring, with Hospital's name embedded into this. The Essex or East Saxon Shield is resting on what appears to be wild roses, perhaps indicating the remote / rural location of the Hospital?

SEVERALLS HOSPITAL, COLCHESTER -circa 1950's to 1970's

Produced when the Hospital changed its' name for the last time. Issued to Nurses. Stirling silver -made by Thomas Fattorini (TF) in Birmingham, England, in 1951. Again brightly designed with blue enamel outer ring, this time oval to match the badges' shape, with Hospital's name embedded into this, with the addition of the name of Colchester, the Town to the south of the Hospital. Perhaps this addition was a reflection on the improvements in transportation, with people moving and travelling greater distances, thus it would be clear to any Visitors in which Town the Hospital was located? This theory could also be applied to Nurses visiting other Medical Establishments and Seminars etc. across the Country. In the centre is a representation of the "True Cross", supposedly discovered by Saint Helena (the Patron Saint of Colchester), who it is believed, was born in the Town. The cross is joined together with the "Fylfot" symbol, which means "many footed or "four footed". This cross forms part of the Coat of Arms for the Town. Adorning the top of the cross is what looks to be a red rose (again, perhaps being influenced by the previous badge design?). Wrapped around part of the "True Cross" is a snake or serpent, adapted from the Rod of Asclepius, who from Mythology, was the Greek god Asclepius; the Son of Apollo. This symbol is associated with Medicine & Healing. The oil lamp is assumed as a symbol of light & hope.

SEVERALLS HOSPITAL, COLCHESTER -circa 1970's & 1980's

As above, however believed to have been produced to replace the original Stirling Silver type badge. Issued to Nurses. "Staybrite" metal -made by Thomas Fattorini (TF) in Birmingham, England. Identical in design, however the distinctive dark blue oval is now replaced with a mint green colour, and the "True Cross" is now dark brown, instead of black, with the rose a much darker shade of red.

SMH BOWLS BADGE

Photograph Copyright of SMH website

SEVERALLS ATHLETIC & SPORTS CLUB COLCHESTER -BOWLS SECTION -circa 1980's

Issued to Severalls Bowls Club Members (Hospital Staff & invited Guests). Un-identified metal -maker un-known.

SEVERALLS HOSPITAL BOWLS CLUB DIAMOND JUBILEE -1983

SMH Bowling Badge -1983

Photograph Copyright of SMH website

Issued to commemorate the 60th. Anniversary of Severalls Hospital's Bowls Club. Un-identified metal -maker un-known. The images from TOP LEFT are: a snake or serpent wrapped around a staff, adapted from the Rod of Asclepius, who from Mythology, was the Greek god Asclepius; the Son of Apollo. This symbol is associated with Medicine & Healing. TOP RIGHT is Colchester Castle; which is located about a mile and a half to the south of the Hospital. BOTTOM LEFT is pretty self explanatory! BOTTOM RIGHT is the Essex or East Saxon Shield.

COMING SOON.....

MORE COMING SOON

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.


Get Flash Player